[arvados] Announcing Arvados v1.3.3

Tom Morris tfmorris at veritasgenetics.com
Tue May 14 17:59:47 UTC 2019

The Arvados team is pleased to announce the release of Arvados v1.3.3, the
most recent maintenance release for the v1.3 stream. The v1.3.2 release was
never announced and is superseded by this release.

This release corrects the potential data loss issue that we mentioned in
our email of April 26 which recommended disabling keep-balance. With
keep-balance disabled, there is no chance of data loss, but we recommend
anyone running v1.3 or v1.3.1 upgrade as soon as convenient. For customers
with support contracts, we've confirmed that there was no data loss for any
customer cluster and the Arvados DevOps team will be in touch to schedule
the v1.3.3 upgrade for a mutually agreeable time.

We've put together a wiki page
<https://dev.arvados.org/projects/arvados/wiki/Recovering_lost_data> which
outlines how to recover blocks which have been put in the trash, but not
yet deleted, as well as how to identify any collections which have missing
blocks so that they can be regenerated. The keep-balance component has been
enhanced to provide a list of missing blocks and affected collections and
we've provided a utility script
<https://github.com/curoverse/arvados/blob/master/tools/keep-xref/keep-xref.py>
which
can be used to identify the workflows that generated those collections and
who ran those workflows, so that they can be rerun.

The links to the releases are and the relevant tickets are below:

v1.3.2 https://dev.arvados.org/rb/release/23
v1.3.3 https://dev.arvados.org/rb/release/24

15148 <https://dev.arvados.org/issues/15148> - keep-balance was incorrectly
account for blocks in collections which had a null `modified_at` field
15112 - (private) fix API server to always update `modified_at`, fill in
null `modified_at` fields as part of DB migration
15080 <https://dev.arvados.org/issues/15080> - installing
arvados-cwl-runner 1.3.1 from PyPi does work