[arvados-dev] API Authentication Options from C#

Albrecht, Tom tom.albrecht at roche.com
Tue Jul 18 03:52:37 EDT 2017

Hi,

I hope you point me in a direction to achieve an elegant authentication for
my Arvados API application.

I am developing a plugin for a third-party software to download data from
our Arvados server. The software dictates the language and platform: C# /
.net and Windows. I managed to access the data using .net's
System.Net.HttpWebRequest class. What remains to be done is implementing an
elegant authentication.

As a workaround, I logged into the Arvados Workbench using my browser and
copy-pasted the authentication token into my application. This works but is
not as user-friendly as I would like it to be. So my question is how to
achieve the authentication more elegantly without a web browser, for
instance by passing username and password to the API up front or using some
kind of single sign-on functionality available in .net.

Do you have any suggestions?

Best regards

Thomas