[arvados-dev] Brett's opinions on git workflow

Brett Smith brett at curoverse.com
Thu Apr 17 13:43:24 EDT 2014

(I know we talked about this at lunch, but I wanted to post too for
others’ benefit.)

On 04/17/2014 11:12 AM, peter wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-04-17 at 10:24 -0400, Brett Smith wrote:
>
>> I was just reviewing a branch for Tom. Since this was my second pass
>> on it, I went to the git log to see what changed since my last pass.
>> I’ve attached the log graph output magit showed me. The complicated
>> history tree made it challenging to find all the relevant revisions.
>> Tom described making several changes that I didn’t see at first, until
>> I found 1881da32 and friends near the bottom of the screen.
> As I look at it, the problem you actually have here is that it is hard
> to identify which commits go with the feature branch you're trying to
> review, and which commits are merges from other places.  Is that fair?

That is the problem I had this morning. And as people have pointed out
since then, |git log| can help solve this problem with specs like
|--first-parent| and |^master|.

I think a merge-heavy history can make other problems too, though. In
particular, when you’re reviewing history on master itself. Trying to
understand where something came from, either manually or using a tool
like git bisect, is more difficult with a complicated tree.

--
Brett Smith