[arvados] Jul 21st Update breaks workbench

Ward Vandewege ward at curoverse.com
Tue Aug 2 14:45:36 EDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 02, 2016 at 11:02:06AM -0500, George Chlipala wrote:
> Last night I had ran an update for my system, in order to update OS related
> packages, and had included arvados updates as well.  It seems that the new
> workbench update has broken the workbench.  It seems that it is looking for
> a database configuration, even though the workbench should be using the API
> server.
>
> The version of the workbench is 0.1.20160721233556.34f8647
>
> Here is a snippet from the web server logfile.
>
> [ 2016-08-02 10:54:03.1184 2190/7f24185a3700
> age/Cor/App/Implementation.cpp:304 ]: Could not spawn process for
> application /var/www/arvados-workbench/current: An error occurred while
> starting up the preloader.
>   Error ID: 20d89988
>   Error details saved to: /tmp/passenger-error-zPrOz4.html
>   Message from application: Cannot load
> `Rails.application.database_configuration`:
> Could not load database configuration. No such file -  (RuntimeError)

It looks like your workbench can't find its database.yml file. This file is
included in the arvados-workbench package at

  /var/www/arvados-workbench/current/config/database.yml

The database.yml file just points to 'nulldb', because workbench doesn't have
its own database, as you said.

Can you see if that file exists on your system? Is the arvados-workbench
package fully installed?

Thanks,
Ward.