[GET-dev] Blosum100 matrix correct in GET?

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Wed May 26 18:54:59 EDT 2010

Termination is hardcoded into the system. That'll be hard to modify.

The reason we use a symmetric matrix is because it's not possible to
know for sure whether the ancestral allele or the newer allele is the
stop codon without other info (e.g. phylogenetic calculations); so
symmetry is used so that scoring is not contingent upon that
determination. You can always throw in a guess based on allele
frequencies, but then you may as well go the whole way and leverage
the full advantage of knowing allele frequencies (it's a good proxy
for how deleterious the mutation might be). I did implement precisely
that on snp-dev at one point and showed last year that it was many
times better than just using a substitution matrix and comparable with
many more complicated techniques like SIFT. This change didn't quite
make it into the mainline repository, though, so it's been written
over.

As to the former question, we use the negative because the score is
meant to indicate how deleterious we predict the mutation to be.
Hence, more deleterious should intuitively line up with a larger
number. So I just took the additive inverse of the BLOSUM.