[GET-dev] Getting GET to be search-engine ready

Kimberly Robasky krobasky at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 10:51:24 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Alexander Wait Zaranek
<awaitz at post.harvard.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Kimberly Robasky <krobasky at gmail.com> wrote:
>> But before we do anything, will GET be search-engine ready after  Clinical Analysis
>> paper is accepted? If not, what else has to happen before we can register it for
>> crawling by Google/Yahoo?
>>
> This needs its own discussion thread!

You're absolutely right, and this needs to be decided sooner than
later since we are publishing this in Genetics/NAR, and it's certainly
the highest priority on the Web-Hits task, right?

So...

* What needs to be done to get GET search-engine ready?

* Will GET be moderated/How will GET be moderated?

How does WIKI do this?

* How will we deal with the inevitable spam?

At some point, almost every public site I've ever managed, even very
low-traffic sites, has been deluged with traffic from zombies
controlled by link-spammers.  Often, they look to overload the server,
thereby causing the MySQL database to re-boot, from whence they find a
point of break-in (I'm not clear on the mechanics from there).
Occasionally, they simply hope to get an illegitimate "link-back" to
their own site for a few minutes, with the intent that, if done on
enough websites, they will improve their page-rank.  I'm sure there
are other reasons to account for these traffic surges, these are just
how they've been explained to me, and they sound reasonable.

This has been a constant irritant for my webhosting business, and I
wonder how we will deal with it for GET.